Friday, May 31, 2019

Quilt News, A Finish, A Greek God and a Hike, More Cotton & Steel Spectrum Reds

Neptune with his trident, at Olmstead Place, Palos Verdes CA.

Neptune's consorts.
Italian influenced architecture at Palos Verdes city center.


Decommissioned Nike Missile site, White Point, San Pedro CA.

Catalina Island and Pacific Ocean view from the park trail.

'Accounted 4', small improv quilt, 20" x 37", hand quilted, finished.



I'm piecing more HSTs using Cotton & Steels' Spectrum Reds, for a couple of projects.


Happy Friday from the Pacific Coast!

Where we have cooler weather with clouds, still spring!

This week we hiked and did a little sight seeing around. We drove north along the coast to the city center of Palos Verdes. Palos Verdes was designed by the American architectural landscaper, Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. . It's like a park, beautiful and relaxing with businesses and a cafe that makes a good chicken salad sandwich. 

Then driving south along the coast we drove to White Point, San Pedro. There is a beach park on one side of the road and the other side is a nature park where you can hike trails and one of the trails, the one we took, takes you up to the decommissioned Nike Missile site, quite a monument to the cold war. There are decommissioned Nike Missile sites all up and down the west coast, interesting bits of history.

Last week I finished my small improv quilt, and I call it 'Accounted 4'. The fabrics I used reminded me of the records that might be kept in a private small business. I hand quilted it to add more hands on personal detail, like you'd get doing business with people you knew.

And that my quilting friends, is the buzz around the rancho. Exploration is being carried out and projects are being worked on.
What have you been accomplishing this last week?

I'll be by to visit.



5 comments:

Ann said...

The statue and fountain remind me of Kansas City. I knew Olmstead designed Central Park in NYC but didn't know he designed Palos Verdes. Fabulous. You must enjoy living there, even part of the year.

Mystic Quilter said...

Janie, I love your small improv quilt, beautiful soft colour and quilting! Interesting Italian style architecture at Palos Verdes and view out over the sea to the island.

Kaja said...

Accounted 4 is so very pretty. It makes me think a bit of abacus beads. You are lucky to spend time in such interesting places.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Beautiful architecture in your area. My immediate thought when I saw 'Accounted 4' was abacus beads too.

Janie said...

Thank you Maureen. Yes that view is great, good weather that day. Did you finish the online class on color, I was interested to find out how that went.