Friday, June 7, 2019

Quilt News Friday, the Color Gray the Color Red, Meet Alice

This is 'Alice' my new improv recipe, more versions to come.
I'm piecing more HSTs for new projects in Spectrum Reds by Cotton & Steel.
Redondo Beach volleyball game.



South end of Redondo Beach.

North View, not many people out this morning.





Happy Quilt News Friday!

It's a gray, cloudy day not cold or windy, just over cast. And it's been that way around here for a couple of weeks now.

This morning we went to walk along the beach. It was quiet and relaxing. There were some surfers on the south end waiting for waves and a volleyball game in progress. Often it's more crowded on the weekend.

This week I've got more HSTs pieced and very soon it will be time to sew rows together. I've made a big pile of them to go into several planned projects. 

I've also started on a new improv quilt I call 'Alice' because some of the fabrics I'm using are from the Wonderland Collection by Cotton & Steel. I've wanted to start using themes and 'recipes' in my designs just changing out color but using the same basic design. And yes, this way of working is of course influenced by Gwen Marston and her book, 'Liberated Medallion Quilts.'
You can get a better price on her book if you are an AQS member and you buy it from them.

And that my quilting friends is the news from the rancho where projects are being moved forward and walks are being enjoyed.
What's your quilt news?

I'll be by to visit.

8 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That looks like such a lovely beach to walk along. And, as always, I enjoy seeing your use of colour in what you're working on.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your little piece, especially as I have a grand-daughter named Alice!

Kaja said...

I like Alice! I'm also intrigued by the idea of using themes, repeating 'recipes' and will look forward to seeing this evolve.

Pamela said...

Alice is very interesting. The colors are great!

Judy P. said...

"June gloom". I miss it.

Janie said...

Thank you Mary Ann. Your new finish is beautiful.

Ann said...

What a graphic design Alice is. Great idea to repeat and reprise it. That's what I do with many of the baby quilts I make although this one is much better than my recent examples. Excellent color choices.
I wish we could get to the beach soon. Enjoy.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com