Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Butterfly Quilt Blocks, Kaleidoscope of Butterflies 22, Happy November 1st!

I'm using Kona solids, batiks and Tim Holtz  text fabric for my butterflies.

My butterfly for November, Leanira Checkerspot.




Happy November 1st from Renton, WA where there are clouds and rain today, off and on.
The poplar and maple leaves have turned very beautiful colors.
We're helping relatives and sightseeing around the Pacific NW.

I'm linking up with Cathy  and Ann  for Kaleidoscope of Butterflies 22, where we are celebrating butterflies!
My butterfly calendar features Leanira Checkerspot. They're common in western Oregon, Utah, Nevada, Western Colorado, California to Baja California. The adults feed on flower nectar, the caterpillars feed on leaves and flowers of Paintbrush. Their flight is from April-July.
The underside of their hind wing is white with black veins, the 'checkerspot.'

I squeezed in some time to piece two butterfly blocks using Fig Tree & Co. 's  'Painted Lady' pattern.
I also Google searched 'butterfly quilt blocks' images and found that the 'Painted Lady' pattern is based on a common traditional butterfly block. I found one that I liked where the body was the same length as the block. So I decided to piece my butterflies that way. The grey and white batik looks a little bit like the  hind wing of the Checkerspot, I think.

That's the news from the shire where I'm remembering to be thankful.
Have a good day.
I'll be by to visit.

7 comments:

Pamela said...

Your new butterfies are gorgeous! Nicely done.

Queeniepatch said...

I think it is fascinating how such a simple pieced block can make the butterfly look so realistic. You have found the perfect design and fabric.

Ann said...

Indian Hatchet blocks make a lovely butterfly. I'd only ever thought of them as signature blocks. Thanks for the idea and for linking with Kaleidoscope of Butterflies.

Kaja said...

Beautiful butterflies - I especially like the fabrics you are using for these.

Cathy said...

Oh, wonderful butterflies! I LOVE Tim Holz fabrics.

I like the info you give each month from your butterfly calendar. Will there be one for 2018?

Janie said...

Thank you, Cathy.
Maybe so, I'll hunt around and see what I can find, I'm a lover of butterflies.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Another perfect butterfly - both real AND created.