Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Quilt News! What's on Your Sewing Table? Log Cabin Blocks Runner, Four Patch in a Square Blocks a Sashiko Project and Scrappy Pineapple Blocks at Susies-Scraps


My Sashiko Rice Stitch wallet/purse project.

Lining is a silky Liberty print, 5" x 6.5" closed.

'Albersesque' 9" Log Cabin blocks with 1 1/2" borders as a runner.

FourPatch in a Square blocks 6" finished, number 38 now.

Finished Sawtooth scrap pieces as a sampler to remember the process.

 
 
Hello Quilt Friends! April showers bring May flowers the saying goes...

What's on your sewing table? My sewing table has some finished and some in progress projects on it. And also a Peter Rabbit children's book, great colors and to celebrate spring.
 
I finished piecing into a sampler my Sawtooth border scraps left overs from my finished quilt top, Mostly Green. Big stitch quilting and binding in Kona Zucchini made it a done deal.
 
Then I finished stitching my Sashiko project, a small wallet/purse in pink linen, lined with a silky Liberty fabric, stitched in rice stitch using #8 perle cotton in indigo blue. I'm still deciding how I want it to close, maybe with a ribbon or buttons. I found the inspiration in one of my library books written by Karen Kim Matsunaga, Japanese Country Quilting; Sashiko Patterns, published 2012. Amazon is selling her book at a high price, that's why I check it out from my library. I wish it would go into reprint then the price would probably come down.
And why do I think Karen's book Japanese Country Quilting is one of the best for Sashiko? Because Karen is Japanese and writes an excellent history/background of Sashiko and Japanese design. There is a well known European author on Sashiko and her ideas and methods are fine for what she is trying to do, but I feel she doesn't address the very important soul of the art. 

Then I decided to make a runner out of the four 9" Log Cabin blocks made from being inspired by Debbie Jeske's post and challenge of 'Albersesque' blocks. Her idea of course was inspired by Josef Albers, an influencial modern artist specializing in the relativity of color. And so my runner top is finished.

My FourPatch in a Square blocks, scrappy, now total 38. My inspiration is from Beth Shibley's YouTube video, Four Ways to Finish FourPatch Blocks. Beth has good ideas.

Susie @ Susies-Scraps has a great idea and tutorial in her last post, Scrappy Pineapple Blocks.
I'm ready to dive into another project! Oh wait! I have to sit down and plan it out in my notebook first.
When I take the time to do that the project suddenly becomes doable; just a little planning really helps.

And that Quilt Friends is the quilt news from the valley.
I'll be by to visit.

3 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

Such neat stitches on your Sashiko wallet. It is always nice to know the background of stitches and embroidery so a good book should include a chapter on that.
I’m a sucker for purple and love your log cabin.
Queenie

Debbie said...

Love seeing your Albersesque runner! I'm excited about the blocks my bee mates are making for my prompt too. And your sawtooth piece is lovely. That looks like a satisfying little make.

Kaja said...

I have been thinking about sashiko recently so will check out this book - it sounds just the ticket. Your sewing table is full of lovely things.