Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Quilt News! New Block Challenge, 'Albersesque' by Debbie Jeske, Saw Tooth Border Scraps, Four Patch in a Square Blocks Increase, April Calendar Page

'Albersesque' blocks, 9.5" my rendition..

My Four Patch in a Square blocks increase!

Color samples I keep around for inspiration.

My April calendar page, look at those colors!

Hand quilting progress on my #1 Hour Glass Medallion Quilt.

I pieced together sawtooth border scraps into a small sampler.

 

Hello Quilt Friends!

Tulips and camellias are blooming and birds are singing in the early morning.

This week I pieced more of my Four Patch Squares together. I have 20 blocks @ 7"x7" now. My goal is 42 blocks. Little bit at a time.

And Debbie Jeske has a new challenge for one of her quilt groups and she is calling it Albersesque in honor of Josef Albers, his work and theories on color. One of the ideas he had was that color is relative, he used geometric shapes to show his ideas. Well I got inspired to whip up a couple of blocks 9.5" square in the liberated style, showing how colors can look as though they are receding or advancing. I'm not sure where that will lead but I'm considering the possibilities.

Hand quilting progress is moving forward. Like Audrey at Quilty Folk says it is important to hand quilt regular if you're going to commit to it, because then your hand stays supple and in shape. I wear my quilt gloves too and that makes a difference, the warmth.

Saw Tooth border scraps got pieced together as a sampler to remind me of what I've done. It will have binding in the Kona Zucchini, the yellow/green in the lower right of the photo.

My April Butterfly Calendar page is gorgeous with saturated color I had to share it! 

And that is the quilt news from the valley, where spring is in the air and allergens too.... it's all beautiful.

I'll be by to visit!

5 comments:

Robin said...

Love the way the hand quilting looks on the Medallion Quilt. Adds so much texture and interest.

Debbie said...

Love your Albersesque blocks and looking forward to seeing where they take you. ;-)

Mystic Quilter said...

I like your idea of keeping colour samples for reference and colour choosing.

Queeniepatch said...

I love purple and think a purple log cabin will be cool.
You are right that colors are important and can ‘play tricks’ on our eyes.
The green sawtooth sampler is lovely and remind my of my own green quilt made entirely of tiny triangles.
All the best
Queeni

Queeniepatch said...

I love purple and think a purple log cabin will be cool.
You are right that colors are important and can ‘play tricks’ on our eyes.
The green sawtooth sampler is lovely and remind my of my own green quilt made entirely of tiny triangles.
All the best
QueeniE