Saturday, October 5, 2019

'Borders in Quilt Land', the Journey and Beach Timeout

I started with a medallion of HSTs in Barn Raising formation, what next?

I know I've said it before, this book, by Gwen Marston, is full of great inspiration.

Then I started adding borders gradually, 6 borders here, I put it away for awhile.


I used the orange floral from the center medallion HSTs for the corner block in the last border.

The white dot border contrasts the thin black dot borders.
This last border opens the design up.

Our afternoon at Torrance Beach, watching seagulls preen and nap.

Santa Monica Bay, you can just see the San Gabriel Mts in the background.

Many variations of blue in the waves, ocean and sky.



Happy weekend and hello quilt friends from Rancho Palos Verdes!
Where we have cooler, sunny skies.

This week I had time to pull out my HST medallion quilt in Barn Raising formation (I must think of a better name for that one!) and sew on the final border. I'd put it away not having any inspiration for a finish. After rereading and soaking up inspiration from Gwen Marston's book 'Liberated Medallion Quilts', and getting busy with other things, ideas began surfacing. 

I kept thinking about how this quilt needed contrast for a good finish. 
So fabrics were auditioned and the white dot fabric won out with the orange floral for the corner blocks. I could call it a done deal.

And then we took time to enjoy an afternoon at Torrance Beach. Seagulls seem to have the life, relaxing and napping on the beach, then out for a fish dinner when they get hungry.

And that is the news from the rancho quilt friends. I hope you're enjoying your projects and the changing seasons too. 

I'm remembering to be thankful and I'll be by to visit.



8 comments:

Pamela said...

Great borders and beautiful beach views.

Ann said...

The depth and beauty you create with your borders always amazes me. These are so nuanced. I hope you're having as much fun making them as we are watching your progress.

Kaja said...

I like the light final border - it is slightly unexpected and yet fits perfectly with the others. Like Ann I am fascinated by what you are achieving with all these borders.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving all these borders! Each new one adds more depth. Are you going to keep going?

audrey said...

I have really been enjoying the fabric in this quilt. And the colors are very sweet too. It's coming together so well!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It's looking great! I've been meaning to put in a request to our local library to get that book for their collection and have yet to act upon it. Now I'm off to do that very thing.

Janie said...

That's a good idea Mary Ann, it's an excellent reference book.

Janie said...

Thank you, this one is done.
Yes, borders refine and define and use up a lot of fabric!