Friday, October 18, 2019

Quilt news Friday! Watermelon Summer Quilt Almost a Finish, Flannel Batting and 'Envelope' Closure

This was the start of my Watermelon Summer table runner.
Here's two borders added.

Final border added. Then flannel batting in the middle and backing sewn to top.
Back design on Watermelon, I haven't started machine quilting here.
Machine quilting has been started!

Crochet baby blanket x2 for grand daughters expected before Christmas.







Hello from Rancho Palos Verdes!
Where the weather is fine, sunny days cooling off in the evening.

I've been volunteering at a charity quilt group where baby quilts are made and distributed to those in need. The baby quilts are tied and I've been helping with that. I like a tied quilt, soft and fluffy. We tie the quilts with a double stitch, then a square knot, sturdy.

And I've been crocheting up a storm as 2 new baby girls are expected before Christmas. And I teach beginning crochet at a local women's shelter. Lots of fun.

Also I had a chance to get some finishing touches on my Watermelon Summer table runner. I decided to use flannel for batting, I researched and found that flannel was often, and is still often, used as batting. It makes for a lighter quilt with a nice drape and is also easier to machine quilt on, not so much shifting. You still need to pin well.

I wanted to use the 'envelope' or 'pillow case' method to finish the sides of this quilt because it's small and I wanted to experiment.
I laid the flannel down and then the backing right side up and the top, right side down, on that. The flannel and backing were about 2 inches bigger than the top all around. The top needs to be carefully laid out and smoothed onto the backing from the center diagonally out toward each corner. 
If you aren't careful to do that you might get ruffled sides that won't sew down flat.
Then pin the sides like crazy and look to see that it is all flat, no ruffling.
Then sew the sides making sure to leave an opening big enough to turn the quilt right side out easily.
Trim back and batting even with top before turning.
Turn, poke out corners with a chop stick, and carefully press. Press opening seam allowance and then sew closed with 1/8" top stitch.
Then I pinned and top stitched 1/4" all around. I like the method well enough to use again.

Have you tried this method on any of your projects?

There are a lot of tutorials out there if you want to try for yourself.

That quilt friends is the news from the rancho, where progress is being made and projects are getting closer to being finished!
Always remembering to be thankful!

I'll be by to visit.


5 comments:

Ann said...

Flannel sounds like a good batting. And I just donated some. Isn't that the way it goes? Congratulations on two new grandbabies and helping others.

Pamela said...

Your "watermelon" looks great. I know people are happy to have you volunteer.

Janie said...

Thanks Pamela. Yes, volunteering is fun all around.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I often use that method for finishing my landscape quilts - and here's a wee hint you might find helpful....instead of leaving an opening for turning, simply stitch all the way around. Then (carefully) cut a slit in the backing fabric beneath where the hanging sleeve will go and turn it through that slit. The slit itself will be covered by the hanging sleeve. If you like you can use a small scrap of HeatNBond (or similar) to hold the slit together neatly (optional).

Janie said...

Thanks for that tip Mary Ann. Sharing process helps every body.