Sunday, September 8, 2019

Lovely Florals, Borders and Piecing Process All About Process.

Sweet floral and friends.
Four Patch and Sixteen Patch units for a new project.
Alice in Blue #1, big floral and black and white stripe contrasting borders.

I love this big floral by Cotton & Steel.


My Yankee Puzzle blocks pieced with prints and florals gets border pinned on.



Yankee Puzzle blocks, in previous post, ready for piecing.


Hello Quilt Friends!
From Rancho Palos Verdes where ocean breezes are keeping it relatively cool here.

Leah Day  always begins her YouTube videos with 'Hello My Quilting Friends'. I like watching her videos she's so calm and has good tips.

This week I thought Florals would be a good topic. In several of my projects I'm using florals, big and small. I like to contrast them with a solid, print or stripe fabric. Contrast shakes things up, adding interest, giving your eyes places to explore and places to rest.

First is my newest project with a sweet little floral contrasting nice with shirting plaid fabric, solids and a bird print. Four and Sixteen Patch units are in the piecing process, more on this later.

Then I got out my 'Alice in Blue 1' block because I love the big blue floral and the way it contrasts with the black and white stripe. Soon I'll get the 2nd Alice in Blue pieced then the fun will begin, stay tuned! They will be similar like sisters, not twins.

Also I'm piecing the borders onto my Yankee Puzzle blocks. I used florals and prints and the first border is a Kona Cotton navy, talk about contrast, we'll see how it all works out.

That is the buzz on the rancho where progress is being made and florals are being appreciated.
And I'm enjoying working slow, why do we always have to be in such a hurry to finish?
I want to be comfortable with the process. 
Comfortable enough to appreciate florals and experiment with contrast.

Remembering to be thankful.
I'll be by to visit!

8 comments:

Pamela said...

Great colors and contrasts! I like hearing/reading about the processes of others.

Janie said...

Thank you Pamela.
Yes, the process is the adventure isn't it? Making a plan, working through the difficulties, improvising when needed and then with patience the project is finished. Not for the faint of heart!

Ann said...

I saw Alice on AHIQ. It’s just as lovely here. Thanks for the reminder to watch Leah. Haven’t done that in a while.

Janie said...

Thanks Ann. Yes, I've been slowing down with my work, taking time to appreciate process, color and design.
And why not? I get fed up with the 'quilt races'. Is that really why I quilt, so I can finish more than another quilter?
Is competition what it's all about? Sure a bit of competitive spirit is fun now and then and shakes it up,
But a competitive heart is a lean heart.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the fabrics in the Yankee Puzzle blocks!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Some lovely florals and so true . . adding in that contrast does the trick, whatever way! Ah yes, it is about "the process" for me too, in fact I'm often sidetracked exploring more & having fun! Just like to get an end result sometime, soon-ish though!

Kaja said...

I like that little blue floral a lot - it's a really happy fabric. Couldn't agree more with your thoughts on speed - it's all about the journey, not arrival for me too.

رامز المثاليه said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.