Friday, February 15, 2019

HST Medallion Bordered in Spectrum Reds, Teaching Crochet.

HST Barn Raising medallion with four borders.


This was started last summer, and then I ran out of steam.
I've been teaching crochet, perfect time of the year for it. This is blanket stitch.


Hello from Rancho Palos Verdes!

Where we're having rain and wind storms off and on. 
Rain coat weather.

And I've been busy with piecing a HST border, the fourth for my HST Barn Raising Medallion I started last summer. I got stuck and couldn't figure what to do with it. 
I had pieced on a Kona cotton solid Pink Punch border and a thin black/dot batik border and that was it. I put it away.
Then, as I talked about in my last post, I was going through my stash and found a Cotton + Steel Spectrum Red layer cake! The light went on, I knew what to do. First a cream, rustic border went on, then the Spectrum Red HST border.

Now My Barn Raising Medallion has four borders and measures in @ 35 x 35". 
I'm happy with it now, but it's not finished yet. Stay tuned for more.

And I've been teaching crochet at a local women's group. They're having fun learning and I enjoy their company.

That's the news from the rancho, where progress is being made.
And I'm remembering to be thankful.

I'll be by to visit.

7 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love seeing the bright colors in your post today - it's been dull and yucky winter here for too long and I'm missing the sunshine.

Pamela said...

Your barn raising medallion is gorgeous. The border really makes a difference.

Anonymous said...

It is hard to think of a quilt of yours that does not have any red in it. This medallion is full of impact!
The blanket crochet stitch looks complicated. I am sure your students are thankful for your instructions and encouragement.
Queenie

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love how your 'barn raising medallion' is looking, pretty colours. And I do like the way you have combined solids in too, very effective!

Kaja said...

Ooh,that red works perfectly!

Janie said...

Thank you, Linda. And I was thinking that instead of 'barn raising' I could call that HST arrangement
'Around the World', might be more accurate!

Janie said...

I just researched 'Around the World' and 'Barn Raising' quilt patterns and I was right the first time.
It's HSTs arranged in a Barn Raising pattern!