Saturday, October 6, 2018

Jordan Fabrics Quilt Shop Visit, California Coast Views, Prairie Rose Quilt

Great diner in Centralia, Washington. It's been open and popular for decades.

We stayed a night in Roseburg, Oregon, a scenic area.

Jordan Fabrics Quilt Shop, Grants Pass Oregon. They have fun YouTube tutorials.

Jordan Fabrics' store front. They carry beautiful Hoffman Batiks.
Jelly Rolls and sample quilts everywhere!

California Pacific Coast, Pismo Beach, looking north toward the coastal range.

Next day, south of Santa Barbara, California coast looking south.
Coast Hwy 101, Malibu, California looking south.


Back view of my quilt, Prairie Rose, finished in 2013.

Prairie Rose, 2013, designed and pieced by me, queen size on a king bed.

Prairie Rose machine quilted in rambling rose pattern by Bobbie Burnett, Sacramento, CA.



Hello from Rancho Palos Verdes, California!

Where we have temperatures in the 70's and sun and clouds. 
Our road trip from Washington State went well.
It's good to be here and visit my son and daughter-in-law who are the caretakers of my quilt, Prairie 
Rose finished in 2013.

I was just starting to explore the 'liberated' style as in Gwen Marston's book 'Liberated Quilt Making II', when I made this quilt. Up to this point I had been enjoying art quilting, mixed media style,  adding embellishments, hand embroidery and journaling to my quilts. 
After looking through her book, I had to give 'liberated' a try. I liked Gwen's light hearted, scrappy, inventive attitude.
In Prairie Rose I decided to use log cabin style blocks, pieced with strips/logs 3.5" wide of varying lengths. All blocks would be trimmed to 11.5" square.
Then I added borders using Rachel Ashwell fabric in a cotton/linen, blue/ecru floral and utility style fabric in the plaid shirting, and the white and red stripe.

Bobbie Burnette of Sacramento, CA did a great job machine quilting it in a rambling rose pattern.

So that's the news from RPV. Where we are adjusting to the coastal life,
and remembering to be thankful.

I'll stop by to visit.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

What a gorgeous quilt! It looks like your travels are taking you to more wonderful places.

Ann said...

Enjoy your time with your son's family in sunny southern California. I do forget Gwen and Freddy call their style liberated rather than improvisational. Aren't we fortunate to have so many strong women pointing the way to working in our own voices?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That quilt shop looks intriguing! Enjoyed seeing your photos from your trip - looks like some pretty incredible views along the way.

Janie said...

Thanks, Pamela.
Enjoy your new home!

Janie said...

Thank you, Ann, I will.
Yes, Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran were/and are, great quilt design improvisationalists!
We are fortunate to have such inspiration.