Monday, August 27, 2018

Setting Corners and Side Triangles, Maker's Mercantile, Shibori Dragon Quilt Shop Class

Half square triangles arranged for a small baby size quilt.

I've started hand quilting my 'City Sidewalks' log cabin block quilt.

Setting corners and side triangles are being sewn onto my traditional sampler blocks.


Happy Monday!

From the Pacific NW where we've had rain and today there's sun and clouds.
This is a good thing, cooler temperatures and rain will put out the wildfires.

I've managed to get time to get a little done here and there. I sewed together half square triangles with pink poodle fabric, yes, this is for a girl. I arranged them and they look great.

Then I've been able to get more hand quilting done. I'm quilting a grid on my 'liberated' log cabin block quilt, inspired by Tonye Phillips'  pattern, Welsh Fold Log Cabin Quilt. I roughly followed the pattern but added my own interpretation in color and block arrangement. I didn't hand piece as the pattern called for. I did use flannel to piece the blocks onto. I used Warm and Natural batting, so the quilt has a nice stuffed feel.

Today I'm sewing setting corners and triangles onto my traditional sampler blocks based on the free pattern, 'Times of Refreshing' by Piecing the Past Quilts. The blocks will be set on point.
It's going well. Sometimes I have to 'unsew' a seam but I've had lots of practice so I'm quick at that.

This Saturday at the Maker's Mercantile  in Kent Washington, just down the hill, there will be a Sew-In hosted by the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild. So I plan on going and bringing a little hand quilting in. It's a fun shop with knitting and sewing supplies and lots of classes and a cafe.

Then next Saturday I'm signed up for a class at the Shibori Dragon; 'Boro Stitching on Silk.'
The Shibori Dragon Quilt Shop is located in University, Washington, a small city, south of where I'm at and west of Tacoma. They have a big selection of batiks and Japanese fabrics and yes, good classes.

It's almost September! Last month of summer. Do you enjoy September like I do?
I feel like it's the start of my year.

That's the news from the shire, where plans are being made.
I'll be by to visit.

6 comments:

Pamela said...

I agree - the pink baby quilt looks great. I'm very interested in the Boro Stitching on Silk class. Can't wait to read your report on that. You've really made a lot of progress on your projects.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A very sweet HST quilt! So exciting to be at the setting-triangles-stage of your sampler, looking good. Enjoy your boro stitching class.

Queeniepatch said...

You haven't worked on a quilt with only two colours for a while s it is nice to see. Then of course you have City Sidewalks and its riot of colour.
Boro Stitching on silk, I wonder what that will be like. Boro usually refers to garments that have been patched and darned out of necessity - poor people's way of making clothes last. These pesants and other poor people would not have had access to silk. Rich people would not wear patched clothes.... Looking forward to the result of your class.

Janie said...

You are correct!
The owner of Shibori Dragon has lots of silk/kimono scraps and in the class we will be able to piece a scarf or
table topper using a collection of her silk scraps, using Boro stitching.
So although silk and Boro stitching don't normally go together, I think in this case it will turn out to be a beautiful project.
Good observation.

Ann said...

You are certainly productive. I keep intending to make a scarf with a silk remnant but your boho scarf sounds much better. Have fun.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Boro stitching on silk sounds interesting - hope you post what you end up making! And a sew-in sounds like so much fun - alas nothing like that in this area!