Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Adventures in Quilting! My Butterfly Quilt is Finished and Hand Quilted.

My butterfly quilt, 20" x 25", finished with final binding.

Butterfly quilt back view, fun white and black print.
This is the binding I had decided on but it didn't look right.


Happy Tuesday!
From the Pacific NW where wild fire smoke is in the air. Soon the rains will come.

This week I finished my butterfly small quilt, 20" x 25". I roughly followed Fig Tree and Company's  pattern, Mini Painted Ladies. I added my own border treatment, 3 borders in fact, and made the butterfly bodies the length of the block.

I had planned to use black and white striped seer sucker for the binding but once I got it sewed on and started hand stitching the other side down, I didn't like it, too dark. So I unpicked it and took it off. The binding in Kona cotton solid 'snow' looks much better. And it's finished!
I also like the hand quilted look on this small quilt much better than the machine quilting I first quilted it with. And yes, as I explained in an earlier post, I unpicked the machine quilting on this little quilt. A lot of work has gone into this but the results are worth it.

And that's the news from the shire, where company keeps us busy and projects are getting done.
I'll be by to visit.




12 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, you have put a lot of work into this quilt, but I think you have made the right changes and the result is very pleasing. As usual the back is worth looking at, with its butterfly print.

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness...I do love butterflies and butterfly quilts! Love the colors, the hand quilting, the backing...the whole darned thing! Congrats on the finish.

Pamela said...

Your finished quilt is just fantastic! The backing fabric is perfect and I love your borders!

Ann said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish. Snow looks much better than the stripe and the other borders are fabulous.

Janie said...

Thank you Queenie and thanks for stopping by!

Janie said...

Thanks, Pamela.
Your embroidery projects are looking good!

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely finish Janie, this is a super butterfly pattern.

Janie said...

Hi Maureen, thank you and thanks for stopping in!
It would be fun to have you over for tea and quilt talk but
this will do for now.

patty a. said...

The quilt is beautiful! I love the fabric you put on the back too!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Reverse sewing sometimes is the only answer (as I can well attest - only my solution more often involves a pair of scissors and a hack job). In your case it was well worth it - your flutter-bye quilt is wonderful.

karen said...

I hope your rain came and the smoke has gone?

شركة المثالية said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.