Monday, August 13, 2018

Quilt Flimsy Done, Exciting New Fabric, Butterfly Hand Quilting, Color Theory Fun

Watermelon summer flimsy, 15" x 30".

Two new fun prints, orange floral and white and black postal prints.

Hand quilting almost done on my butterflies, one more round to go.


Happy Monday!

From the Pacific NW with cooler temperatures and some clouds.
And some smoke from the wildfires in eastern Washington. Yes, wildfires are common around here.
The wildfires in California are excessive this year, I pray for the firefighters and people who've lost their homes, very difficult time for them.

This last week has been a busy time with relatives visiting and leaving and more coming in. 

I did get more hand quilting done and my watermelon four patch on point flimsy, pieced of scraps, is now the size I wanted to get it. I might add a small border, I'm thinking that over.

Missouri Star Quilt Comp. had a sale on shipping last week, so with that and using my MSQC points on this order, I got a good deal on the orange floral and the white/black postal print.
They'll fit in nice with the colors I like to use. 

My favorite recipe for choosing fabric to piece quilt blocks is a good mix of solids, batiks and prints. There has to be contrast and some black and white is always good.
I like the shock value of orange, and I use other colors to hold down the fort, as it were.
Fun times, it might as well be an adventure. 

And that is the quilt news around here, where we are busy with summer activities with a little time tucked in here and there for projects.

I hope you have a good week, I'll stop by to visit.

12 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I am not a fan of black and white on its own, but HAVE seen some fantastic b&w quilts. In a colourful quilt, however, b&w always add a nice balance or accent. So the pips of our watermelon add to the great look.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like these prints you got and I LOVE orange, but not so much bright orange but an orange that is a little toward the red side, but not yellow or brown. Free shipping always sends me shopping!
xx, Carol

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Those are beautiful fabrics. Your butterfly quilt is exquisite!

Janie said...

Yes, Queenie, how right you are!

Janie said...

Thanks, Shasta, for your kind comment!

Janie said...

Isn't orange great?
I can see that you have an appreciation for orange too by
your thoughtful description of your favorite orange.
Thanks for stopping in.

Julie said...

Your butterflies are looking wonderful. I'm always interested seeing work featuring batiks, they get such a bad rap from so many quilters, I love the colours you can find in them.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Yet more fabulous projects you've been working on! I must admit to being somewhat taken aback that you bought black & white fabric but when I read your reason it makes perfect sense. The orange, on the other hand, of COURSE that's something you would buy!! (smile)

Pamela said...

The wartermelon flimsy looks delicious. Great purchases and butterflies.

Ann said...

Everything is luscious but I'm most drawn to your butterfly quilt. I worked on some blocks for a while; they are tucked away somewhere but yours are lovelier. Great use of the hatchet block to make the wings and wonderful color combinations.
Thanks for pointing out the mix of fabrics you use.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the watermelon colours most of all but your butterflies are looking wonderful with all your hand quilting.

karen said...

the watermelon quilt is so appealing Janie....I imgine your home is filled with brightness, colour, happy pieces of cloth...