Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Ad Hoc Improv, Light & Liberated, Small 'Cabin' Blocks, Fun with Improv

My Log Cabin Blocks final arrangement last week.

I sewed on two borders last week, blocks 6 1/2" sq.

Small log cabin blocks, before trimming.

Trimming and sizing almost done.

Small log cabin blocks trimmed to approx. 3" sq.

I like this arrangement! The blocks will be 2 1/2" sq. , finished.

Hello! It's time for AHIQ again. 
Up for the challenge? The theme is scale.

I thought about what I could do with scale and since I've been on a Log Cabin block roll, I decided to make up smaller size Log Cabins.

Looking at my 'liberated' light log cabin quilt with 6 1/2" blocks and two borders, I thought maybe I'd put on another border with small log cabins.
Getting out scraps I began making up small 'cabins'.  

When I got them all trimmed up, I changed my mind. I think the small cabins look great together as a mini quilt.
And 'Light & Liberated' isn't getting any more borders today.

That was my journey into scale for this month's AHIQ #33. Thanks Ann  and Kaja  for hosting.
Stop in to get inspired and see what other improv is going on!

I'll be by to visit. 




9 comments:

Kaja said...

Well, no one said all your play with scale had to go into one quilt! I really like how your thin green border frames the log cabin blocks and the outer border with cornerstones. Thanks for linking up with AHIQ.

Queeniepatch said...

Log cabin is maybe the very best block if you want to change the scale. In some quilt shows I have seen mini-mini-mini quilts made up of the tiniest of log cabins.
Have fun!

Pamela said...

Great "cabins"! The thin border of the lime frames it very nicely.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think your decision to make a separate quilt with your little 'cabins' is a great plan - at least I thought that, once I got over the shock that they were so small!!!

Janie said...

That's good to know!
I'm glad you like the green border.
AHIQ is fun and inspiring.

Janie said...

Yes, I think you're right.
The mini log cabins are amazing and take a lot of attention to detail.

Janie said...

Thank you Pamela.
That green is Kona solid 'Wasabi' one of my favorite colors
right now.
Depending on the light it can look lime or almost yellow.

Ann said...

I love watching you develop sophisticated quilts in such small dimensions. They are wonderful. Good call to split these blocks up and a reminder to us all. Thanks for linking with AHIQ.

Unknown said...

Thanks for post:

ship nhanh sang Mayotte
ship tốc độ sang Chad
chuyển phát tốc độ tới Togo