Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Patchwork Pouch Finish, Butterfly Sightings,Quilting and Binding Done on Small Quilt.

I straight stitch quilted the front and back.

Tab sewn onto both ends of zipper.


This is the back of my zippered pouch.

The other side, I used Robert Kaufman Essex Linen Blend  and scraps.
Bottom view, boxed.

My small butterfly quilt, finished.

The pattern I used is, 'Mini Painted Ladies'. Maybe call this 'City Gals' ?

Back of butterfly quilt, fun with scraps.



Hello! Hope you all had a great Memorial Day Weekend.
We hiked and enjoyed the sun, then had a bar-b-que and enjoyed family.
The Monarch  butterflies are beginning to make their appearance around here. I've seen quite a few. They fly by fast, like they're afraid they'll get eaten.

I finished up the scrap pouch I've been working on. I wanted to try a different pattern. The pattern I used for this pouch, or I should say the directions I used, was Jenny Doans' MSQC tutorial, How to Make a Zippered Pouch, on YouTube; very easy to follow. I changed up the dimensions to my own liking but the rest was following her tutorial. It's a great tutorial by the way, no surprises. There is no lining, the directions call for zig-zag finishing the inside seams. I covered the inside seams with binding, hand sewn on.

Yoko Saito in her book, Patchwork Bags and Accessories , finishes her inside seams with binding, hand sewn on, and I like that finished look.

I'm also linking up with Linda @ KokaQuilts  for Sew Stitch Snap Share #27.
Stop in to share what you've been working on and to get inspired by beautiful projects.
Thanks Linda for hosting this opportunity.

And my butterfly quilt is finished with 1 1/4" binding, I use skinny binding for my  smaller quilts. 

So I've managed to move ahead on two projects this last week.

I hope you're enjoying the season. Are you seeing any butterflies yet?
I'll be by to visit!


8 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely little pouch Janie and a great backing idea!

Queeniepatch said...

I don't want to belittle your quilts in any way, but often the BACK is just grand!
Actually the same goes for the zipped bag, that little bit of orange on the zipper makes a great difference.
I just love the attention to detail you always pay.

Janie said...

Thank you, Queenie, I do add fun in where ever possible.
As you know, it's that 'fun' thing that gives a project life.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love your 'butterfly' quilt, great colour palette. And your backing with those little scrappy bits is lovely! Thanks for sharing with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'

Pamela said...

Great pouch and wonderful quilt - both sides!

Janie said...

Thanks, Linda.
And thanks for hosting Sew Stitch Snap Share, very inspiring!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your pouch proves that straight quilting lines are very effective (and, btw, I am going to check out that video because I think that shape of pouch is just what I've been searching for...thank you). And your flutter-bye quilt is spectacular (as always I love the colours you choose!).

Kaja said...

I love both sides of the quilt - great finish! And I also like the pouch a lot -keep thinking I should try this stuff - and especially the thought that you have beautifully finished seams inside too.