Sunday, September 15, 2024

Quilt News! Super Dahlia Color, Do You Use a Color Wheel? Chair Block Quilt Top Needed Orange Strip, String Border Piecing, Four Squares on Point Quilt Blocks Progress

Dahlias at Point Defiance, Tacoma WA Rose and Dahlia Garden.

How beautiful is this fabulous yellow dahlia....

Orange strip added to my Chair Block Quilt top, just right now.

My Four Tiles Quilt top will soon have string borders.

The stack of my Four Patch Blocks on Point is growing.

 

Hello Quilt Friends! 

Rain and cooler temperatures here in the valley. Fall will soon be here! 

A few weeks ago we made a day trip to Point Defiance  Tacoma WA Rose and Dahlia Garden.
The garden is kept up superbly, it is fenced in so deer won't eat the roses. Fuchsias were blooming and hummingbirds were busy. It was a warm day so the smell of roses was in the air and the dahlias were at their best. 
Orange and yellow were on my mind when I got back and I could see that my Chair Block quilt top needed a strip of orange for contrast. Then my Four Tiles Quilt top came to mind and I knew that a string border with lots of yellow and orange was needed to add interest. Yes, I use a color wheel to help on color decisions because I easily get overwhelmed with color choices because I like them all. My favorite color wheel is Robert Burridge Goof Proof Color Wheel. 

Then I've been piecing Four Patch on Point blocks together because they make up a good quilt and use lots of scraps and left over pieces. The stack is getting bigger.

Carolyn Forster has a new book out, Hand Stitched Quilts. I like Carolyn's books they are beautiful and full of good tutorials. Hand Piecing is a big commitment but doable and your hand eye coordination does improve with practice. Ask any embroiderer or slow stitcher.

And that is the quilt news from the valley. Where do you get your color inspiration from?
We have lots to be thankful for don't we?

I'll be by to visit.

2 comments:

  1. You made an outing to The Garden Of Eden. Such colourful beauty. I’m not surprised that you found a lot of inspiration there.
    I use a colour wheel as I lack your natural talent for picking the right colours for your work.
    It is still sweltering hot in Tokyo but a bit of rain today will hopefully bring down the temperature. I pray autumn is on its way.
    All the best
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO use a color wheel occasionally. But I also get inspiration from artwork, and items I see out in the world.

    ReplyDelete