Sunday, July 9, 2023

Quilt News! New Log Cabin/Court House Steps Improv Blocks, Sashiko/Boro and Traditional Hand Embroidery Projects

I finished another 'tray cloth' for my kitchen with Traditional and Sashiko stitching.

Boro Stitching on the front piece of my new book/shopping bag.

New project, Log Cabin improv blocks being 'interviewed'.

 

Hello Quilt Friends! 

News from the valley where we are enjoying the summer breezes making everything feel fine!

I finished my latest 'tray cloth' or glass drying towel with Traditional Hand Embroidery and Sashiko Stitches. They work well together. The fact that it's useful is a big plus with me.

And another new, useful project is my book/shopping bag, it will measure approx. 18" x 17". I had some leftover triangle pieces trimmed off another project and they were too colorful to throw out so I'm stitching them onto the front piece with boro stitches which is also called Japanese Running Stitch. One of my favorite books on Boro is by Harumi Horiuchi, Mending with Boro, Japanese Running Stitch & Patching Techniques. Harumi's book is beautiful and she writes about stitching and mending with your own unique style as an art form. Yes to that!

My new Scrappy Log Cabin/Court House Steps Improv Blocks are going to be about 10" square, most of them are there now. I'm deciding on the final layout. I do seem to favor log cabin blocks, I know. Mary Hogan's book, Log Cabin Improv: Quilts with a Twist on Tradition, has been a great inspiration for me. 

That Quilt Friends is the news from my sewing room to yours. And what new projects are you working on and what summer adventures are you planning?

I'll be by to visit!



3 comments:

Debbie said...

Especially love your boro stitching. Really beautiful. In answer to your question, we just got back from a quick trip to Oregon for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. Fun to finally experience it!

Kaja said...

I am always fascinated by your colour combinations and these latest log cabin blocks are no exception. I also really like your combination of sashiko with traditional stitching - very clever.

Queeniepatch said...

You have two very useful projects, and indeed beautiful - a tea towel and a bag. You will enjoy using these items every day, I am sure. I especially like what you have done with the sashiko stitching over the boro patches. You have also proved that sashiko and traditional stitching can go hand in hand.

Yes we all know how fond you are of log cabin blocks. I think the log cabin pattern is fond of you too - you make such beautiful things with this much loved pattern.

Enjoy the pleasant weather.
Queenie