Thursday, February 4, 2021

Quilt News! February Color of the Month! Improv Plus Nine Patch Quilt Blocks in Turquoise, Blossoms

Hawthorn is blooming in the valley!

A new yard of Eclectic Elements by Tim Holtz 'distressed' turquoise.

I started these Improv Plus Nine Patch blocks a couple of years ago.


Pieced and finger pressed, blocks are 3. 5" finished.

Hawthorn trees blossoming down the street.

February color of the month, pink! I'm changing it out for turquoise however.

Front of my Improv Plus Nine Patch quilt top, 15" x 35".

Back of Improv Plus Nine Patch quilt top in Turquoise, batiks and solids.

Close up view of back....

 


Quilt news from the valley where Hawthorn Trees are blossoming and skies are bright and blue!

The blossoms are gorgeous and cheery, spring comes early here.

This week I pieced the final row of my Improv Plus Blocks in Turquoise quilt top measuring, 15" x 35", I started it a few years ago inspired by Irene @ Sugarido.com  and her YouTube tutorial, "How to Make an Improv Plus Nine Patch Quilt Block. " Her tutorial is fun, inspiring and easy to follow.

After doing some research on Plus Nine Patch Quilt Blocks I realized that my blocks technically are  Improv Plus Blocks.

The blue skies reminded me of those Plus blocks I had stashed away so I pulled them out and pieced them together. Then I pieced the back from scraps and left over blocks. The top and back are finished, layering, basting and quilting comes next.

And my color calendar says pink is the color for February but I'm changing that to turquoise because I finished my quilt top in turquoise batiks and solids and my turquoise 'distressed' yardage by Tim Holtz (for another project)  came in the mail from Fabric.com. 

Fabric.com is, in my opinion, the best online fabric store. They have good prices and selection and your order gets shipped quick. I'm not paid to say that, I'm a satisfied customer.


Also take time to visit Svetlana  @ Sotakhandmade, her tutorials on YouTube are great, she specializes in bags and zipper pouches and designs quilts with a Scandinavian flair. Her tutorials are excellent.


And that, quilt friends, is the news from the valley where Hawthorn blossoms and turquoise skies are 'making spirits light.'

How are your projects and plans coming along? I'll be by to visit.


6 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I guess pink is the choice for February because of St Valentine's Day. To any Japanese, though, pink is the colour of cherry blossoms and would fit Maarch and April much better. So I wouldn't hesitate to change the pink of February for turquoise either! All Bluegreen shades are loved by me so I am delighted to see your new flimsy, and the striking back you managed to whip up from stash.
I often use YouTube videos to 'see' how a stitch or technique is worked. It is good to watch several to see how others are holding or stitching. I will swing by Svetlana's clip.
I envy you your hawthorn trees, they are blooming beautifully. The plum blossoms are opening here in Tokyo.
Have a great month of activity.

sewyouquilt2 said...

So pretty. Love your spring. We are still dreary and cold here. That turquoise piece is beautiful.so soothing.love it

Mystic Quilter said...

Improv Plus Nine is an interesting design and I do like the colour you chose.

Ann said...

Delightful to see trees blossoming now. I'm ready for spring.
Your work is always a joy.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your trees in blossom, very pretty! And am enjoying your projects with those batiks.

karen said...

Hi Janie, I hope you and yours are safe and well. I am envious of your blue skies and hawthorns. It's grey, wet and gloomy here!