Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Quilt News! QAL Log Cabin Blocks Progress, Quilted Fabric Basket Finish, Quilted Thread Catcher From Last Week.

I finished this quilted, lined, fabric basket a few days ago.

View of the boxed bottom, it sits nice.

And it's handy for storage.



These are some current projects on my work table.

Close up of some fabrics I'm using in the QAL Log Cabin blocks.


QAL Log Cabin blocks, approx. 5" sq. when finished.

This is my thread catcher finished last week, given as a gift.

View of the thread catcher's boxed bottom, that sounds funny.

 

Quilt News from the valley!

Where we had balmy temperatures for a few days and now it's cooled off again more like winter.

This last week I made progress on my QAL Log Cabin Blocks inspired by the QAL, Down Home Darling, by Temecula Quilt Co. I'm working at a slower pace than the gals at Temecula but I'm inspired! My blocks will come out about an inch bigger than what the QAL suggested and I'm still not sure of the finished size, maybe 40" x 40".

I found an interesting free, lined fabric basket tutorial @ All People Quilt and I had to try it out! Changing a few things in the pattern to suit my preferences; like making the outside of the basket three layers instead of two; outside fabric, batting and muslin because I don't like to quilt batting without fabric covering it as it leaves too much lint in my machine!

Then I quilted those three layers as I wished for the outside.

The next step was folding in half and sewing the sides of the fabric lining and the sides of the outside quilted fabric together. Both were approx. 9" x 18". I then boxed the corners about 3".

Then right sides together, (outside quilted fabric and lining fabric), sewed around the top leaving an opening for turning. The opening was closed when I top stitched around the top to finish it.

And it turned out great for storage and it's on my sewing table!

I also had to take another look at the quilted thread catcher I made last week for a gift. The batiks around the side are bright and cheerful. 

 And I feel the need to sew up a zipper pouch or maybe a bag next, for the challenge.

And visit Queenie Patch to see progress on her amazing Log Cabin quilt, pieced by hand, it's amazing!

Also visit Debbie to see her gorgeous improv/color projects.

And that quilt friends is the news from the valley.

Where we are remembering to be thankful.

Have you made any zipper pouches or bags lately?

I'll be by to visit.


5 comments:

Kaja said...

What a cool bunch of projects. I could use a thread catcher basket. I leave little piles everywhere I work and then have to go back and clear them up.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you for the link to my blog.
I love working by hand and making all those log cabin blocks for my quilt has taken a LONG time - I envy you the speed you can whip up blocks, but I know how grumpy I would be if I made them all by machine.
I do love your basket and thread catcher, the bottoms look very nice!! it is a good idea to change instructions to fit one owns way of working.

I hope the weather is comfortably wintery.
All the best,
Queenie

sewyouquilt2 said...

I made a tiny coin pouch of ninja turtle fab. I have a bigger chunk to quilt and make into a pencilcase size.
Love your fab basket and log cabin. I need to finish up lots of things to clear out some space and fabric.

Debbie said...

Super cute little makes you have there! I love small projects like that. And hey! Thanks for the shout-out!!

karen said...

I do love the little thread catcher baskets. You have been so busy!