Monday, January 20, 2020

Quilt News, A Tale of Three Red Quilt Tops, Improv Neutral Log Cabin Quilt Progress

1st Red HST Medallion Quilt top with HSTs inYankee Puzzle formation with borders. Final border in orange print.

Same as above, different lighting, 58" x 54".
2nd Red HST Medallion Quilt top with HSTs in Barn Raising formation with borders, 55" sq.

 Same as above, corner detail.


Fun mix of prints, solids and florals.

The orange floral, used in quilt top above, is Havanna by Patty Young, Riley Blake Designs.

3rd of my Red HST Medallion quilt tops, the HSTs are in Yankee Puzzle formation,  50" sq.

Same quilt top as above, with pink print final border and hourglass blocks in the corners.


More hand quilting progress on my improv Neutral Log Cabin quilt, 32" sq.





Hello quilt friends and happy MLK day from Rancho Palos Verdes!

Lots of this and that has been happening around here but I managed to squeeze in some project time.

I finished my 3rd quilt top in a series of Red HST Medallion quilts last week. I started them in 2017 when I bought a Red Spectrum layer cake (10"sq.s) by Cotton & Steel. At first I thought about making a giant quilt using all the squares, but decided against that. Then I decided on making them all into HSTs and then using those in smaller quilts.
After reading Gwen Marston's book, Liberated Medallion Quilts, I knew I wanted to use HSTs in medallions and then add borders. 
And so the fun and deliberating began. 
It's great to have the tops done. The binding on all three will be a red floral.

More hand quilting has been accomplished on my 32" sq. Improv Neutral Log Cabin quilt with flannel batting.
The binding will be Kona Cotton solid Khaki or Natural.

And you must visit Julierose  and see her recent quilts, they are fabulous! The Franken Flimsy and her Green Sampler are really amazing.

And that is the news from the rancho where it's a vacation/break day so I'll wind this up and go out and take a long walk by the beach, remembering to be thankful.

I'll be by to visit.

9 comments:

Pamela said...

Your medallion quilts are stunning!

Kaja said...

Three fabulous quilts - I don't know which one I like best (always the one I'm looking at right now). I love how they are clearly related but each one has so much of its own character.

Queeniepatch said...

The borders in contrasting fabric really make the medallion stand out.
Beautiful!

Ann said...

What fun you had making these in series. They are related yet different. And what a thrill to finish up some older fabrics, too. What will you do with them? Wall? Lap? Toddler? Gift?

Karen said...

Love these rich colours Janie. I am playing a little with patchwork at the moment and fiddly??? It allows me to really appreciate your skill.
I hope you are well and wanted to say thanks for your always amazing feedback and your visits. Thank you xxx

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Three lovely medallion quilts!

audrey said...

I have really enjoyed your red series quilts. So striking! The fabrics you choose are so interesting, love them!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Such a fun blast of warm colour on what's a cold winter day here. So nice to see!

Mystic Quilter said...

How on earth did I miss this post with all the stunning colour!!! Beautiful !!