Saturday, December 15, 2018

Quilt Basted, Clover Thread Trimmer, Long Beach, Border # 3, Rejoice!

Cathedral Window square ready for what I call step 2.

Another square in process for my Cathedral Window project.

I ordered Clover's thread clippers, perfect for trimming stray threads.

'Uneven Thirds' machine basted.


Long Beach and San Bernardino Mtns in the background, 9th St. San Pedro, CA.
This week I worked on 3rd border for my sampler.

Rejoice!


Hello!
From Rancho Palos Verdes where we have sun and cool temperatures.

This week I had time for piecing the 3rd border for my traditional quilt and putting together more squares for my Cathedral Window project. Putting together borders are tedious for me but I like the look so I put the effort in. I think part of it is that I'm almost done and so I get impatient.

I'm going to get my Cathedral Window squares all to what I call the second step and then I'll post the process of sewing the squares together and adding the color insert.

Also this week I machine quilted my 'Uneven Thirds' quilt and it did not turn out well.
It's small and even though I had pin basted it, it didn't quilt flat and had puckers.
So I unpicked all of it and machine basted it in a grid to get better stability. 
It will wait until I've recovered my bravery.

We took time on Thursday for a little sightseeing and drove south to San Pedro where there's a good carwash. We could see the San Bernardino Mtns and they had a light dusting of snow on them.

Now the Christmas Cards are mailed out and maybe I'll make up some sugar cookies.

That's the news from the rancho,
 where we are Merry and Bright and remembering to be thankful.
I'll be by to visit!

13 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Uneven Thirds is looking splendid, you must be thrilled.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

'Recovering your bravery' - can't tell you how often I do exactly that! AND....I must thank you for a brainwave I've had. Much angst has been happening here at Chez Magpie as I search my grey matter for an idea for a crazy quilt project/tutorial I need to do. I was coming up totally dry and nothing wanted to excite me. However...your Cathedral Window gave me an idea. A wonderful, marvelous, great idea. I think. Maybe. Woo hoo!!

Pamela said...

Cathedral windows are addicting. I can't stop! Uneven thirds is gorgeous.

Queeniepatch said...

You piece your Cathedral Windows differently from the way I do them, but oh, your work is so neat. Don't give up, the quilt will be gorgeous.
Unpicking machine quilting can't be fun, maybe the Japanese scissors help.
That is an unusual star-wreath on your card.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The Uneven Thirds quilt LOOKS great in the picture. I have had those little snippers for 40 years and I LOVE them.
Merry Christmas
Carol

Ann said...

I love borders, too. They are usually my favorite part. And I hate when the quilting tucks and puckers.
Isn't California fabulous? From ocean to mountains in one day.

Judy P. said...

I just wanted to mention that you cannot see the Sierras from Long Beach. Those mountains in the background are probably the San Gabriels or the San Bernadinos. :)

Janie said...

Well thank you, Judy, I'll have to research that. I haven't been in this area long and there's a lot to know around here.
When we lived in Folsom we could see the Sierra Nevada and they start getting snow about this time of year. So I assumed
that's what I saw. I must Google that!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

"Uneven Thirds' is looking great! Do you have somewhere/someone special in mind for it? Merry Christmas.

Kaja said...

I too think Uneven Thirds is looking great and enjoy the peeps at your other projects too. Your travel pictures give me such itchy feet!

Danielangelena said...

Not all coconut oil is the exact same. It is possible to use both beard oil and beard balm together for optimum conditioning, or you may choose Extra Hold Beard Balm | Best Beard Wax - Primitive Outpost just one and stay with it.

william smith said...

You need to do some practice to find familiarized with this tool. epilator

Nelson Muthua said...

Beard trimmers are likewise a fantastic present for that boy who's turning into a guy. There's also a Braun beard trimmer available that will get the job done nicely with your financial plan. If you are curious to get more details about electric trimmer, here you can get more information about it.