Monday, September 24, 2018

On Point Sampler Blocks, Fall is Here!, Hand Quilting and Four Patch Border

My traditional sampler blocks, on point, 1st border.

Trees in the neighborhood starting to turn fall colors.

Fall color mix.

Vine Maple in the backyard going red and orange.

Hand quilting progress on 'City Sidewalks'.

I'm piecing Four Patch squares for next border on my traditional sampler.


Fall is officially here!

Happy Monday from the Pacific NW, where the deciduous trees are beginning to turn their fall colors. The small maples seem to turn first, their bright red and orange leaves really standout. 

This week I sewed the first border onto my traditional sampler quilt. I roughly followed Piecing the Past Quilts' pattern, 'Times of Refreshing.' I used Kona cotton solid, chartreuse. The next border will be a round of four patch blocks. I haven't decided for sure what the 3rd border will be, triangles or stars, stay tuned.

And I'm making progress with hand quilting my 'City Sidewalks' log cabin blocks quilt. I roughly followed Tonye Belinda Phillips' pattern, 'Welsh Folded Log Cabins.' I chose to quilt it in a grid, I'm using light grey, size 12 DMC pearl cotton.

That's the news from the shire.
Plans are still being made for the upcoming road trip to California. Fall is a good time to travel.

Have a good week and I'll be by to visit.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, the color!! Loved seeing your projects in all their glory!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love your choice of the the bright green border for your traditional block piece - perfect! Trees here are just starting to turn too so it won't be too long until we're surrounded by fall colours (if the wind and rain don't wreak too much havoc).

Ann said...

Not fall yet here so I enjoyed your photos of the maples. And the progress on your quilt. Always lovely to watch you put one together.

Janie said...

Thank you, Ann.
Blogging and sharing progress, isn't it fun?

ctnbee said...

I was very interested in your blog. Now I will be more willing to look here. Thanks for describing such things on your blog. This quilt looks amazing

Kaja said...

I love how your colour scheme makes your traditional blocks look completely contemporary and fresh.