Saturday, July 21, 2018

Quilt 'Licorice Allsorts' Finish, Piecing and More Thoughts on Reconstructing

This week my HSTs and four patches in process.

Lady of the Lake Block, finished, @10.5" for my traditional sampler quilt.

My summer 2017 improv challenge quilt, 'Licorice Allsorts' is done!

Here's the back view, I pieced scraps for the strip.


Greetings from the Pacific NW!

 Where we have sun and clear skies. On a day like today we can see the Cascade Mts to the east and the Olympic Mts in the west and in the south is Mount Rainier, truly natural wonders!

And Happy Weekend to you.
This week I've been piecing/cutting etc. for about 20 min. then I get up and go and do something else for a bit then come back to the piecing/cutting work. My blog friend, Cathy , who gets an amazing amount of work/play done works this way and talks about it on her blog. It sounded like a good idea, so I'm trying it. I find I don't get as burnt out and my inspiration stays around.

Another of my blog friends, Debbie , has finished reconstructing a worn out vintage quilt and she's done a beautiful job. Visit her to see her great work. Talk about inspiring!

I've finished 'Licorice Allsorts' a summer 2017 improv challenge quilt. For a long time I didn't know what to name it, (I like to name my art quilts), and I didn't know how to finish it.
I had added a white border, photo in my past post, and I then I was stuck. I was looking through past photos of that quilt when I first started it, to see if that would give an idea.
Looking at the photos I realized the white border was not in keeping with the original intent.
Take off the border? Yep, I cut it off and unpicked the seam allowance left.
A sigh of relief!
Then another of my blog friends, I have a lot!, Queenie  suggested I name it 'Licorice Allsorts'.
Perfect, sweet and playful.
I used units/blocks of rectangles, squares and triangles to border the center medallion of 'liberated' rail fence blocks.

That's the quilty news from the shire.
Have a great week and remember to be thankful, it beats fussing handsdown.
And a smile makes you look years younger, for free!

I'll be by to visit.


10 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I work that way too - a few minutes at a time, flitting back and forth. Congratulations on a beautiful finish. The name is perfect, as is the quilt.

Queeniepatch said...

Wow!
you have always made great art quilts but I think this is one of my favorites. The many colours and prints are kept in check by the back, which is also perfect for the inner border and the binding. Then there is the back, of course. Your quilt should always be seen front AND back.
You do such great work, Janie, and with the new time management strategy, we will have much more to enjoy in the future.
No wonder you have many blogging friends and fans. You are so generous and remind us of how to look and feel young for free!

Janie said...

Thank you, Shasta!

Kaja said...

I wondered about working like that when Cathy mentioned it, so it's interesting that you are finding it productive. I'm going to give it a go.

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh! Licorice Allsorts is a great name because your quilt turned out yummy! (Smile) That's some impressive quilting and I love that color you used for the backing.

I hope it works for you. I've found short bursts of doing anything better for my mind and body and keeps my days interesting.

And you know I love Lady of the Lake!

Ann said...

I’m not sure I could work in 20 minute spurts but you and Cathy are encouraging me to try it.
Licorice Allsorts is one of my favorite quilts. I love looking at it. Always something to see.

Mystic Quilter said...

I saw that you had a post up on AHIQ so I'll comment on that shortly but must say how much I love your Lady of the Lake block, super fabric.

DreamNT said...

Another good information is very good. Thanks for the knowledge.











บุคคลสำคัญของโลก

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've heard of that system for doing housework, but never thought of using it for creating. It sounds like a great idea. I generally get so involved in what I'm doing that hours can go by. Love the name Licorice Allsorts!!

Pamela said...

As always, inspiring and colorful!