Saturday, July 28, 2018

Hand Quilting and Four Patch Stacks, Notes and Log Cabin Blocks Settled In

One of the first block arrangements, not there yet.

The blocks on the far left side and lower corner were rearranged.


Log Cabin blocks backing.
I'm hand quilting my small butterfly quilt with pearl cotton #12.

Stacks of Four Patches, trimming and measuring going on this week.

My notes and scratch pad.


Happy Weekend!!
Summer weather and walks at the lake are what's happening here.

I've been working in shorter blocks of time, about 20 minutes, because it's too warm and I need to get up and cool off for a while. It's funny but when I'm piecing, pressing, trimming and digging around for more of this or that scrap of fabric, it can get hot. No air conditioning in this room, a fan yes, and I'm thankful for that. So to cool off I go down and out to the backyard and stick my feet in my grandson's pool for a while, nice.
And of course my blog friend, Cathy, is the one who wrote about breaking up work times into shorter  pieces and how that worked out well for her and she gets a lot done!

So this week I've been piecing and trimming On Point Four Patches. And making stacks of them, I like that. And since I've got the ruler and cutting mat out why not make stacks of other blocks for that other project I've been putting off?  

Also I finalized my Log Cabin block quilt arrangement that was stalled for a while. I had to keep asking myself, 'What is the intent here? Log Cabin blocks have something to say and just what is that?'  I decided movement was important and color could work that out.
I was thinking Log Cabin blocks mean houses (to me) and what if this was a city and you had streets and apartments and houses all lined up along sidewalks. So that helped me figure out the final placement so it made sense.

And my note/scratch paper pad! I'm a doodler at heart and spend a lot of time drawing and writing. It's a good way to unwind and plan I think. Are you a doodler?


So that's the news around the shire, where little feet are running up and down the hall.

Have a great week and I'll be by to visit.

10 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I am glad to hear you have found your pace and method for working. It is important to take breaks, cool off one's feet but also to make note and plan out quilts on scribble paper. The result is always stunning! The black and white checked/speckled fabric adds a lot of spice!

Kaja said...

It looks like you've had a productive week, so the 20 minute method must be working. It's fascinating to read how you thought through the log cabins; I love the idea of seeing the blocks as components of a neighbourhood (like a map!)

Pamela said...

I love your bright blocks and hand quilting!

Cathy said...

Oh, I love that little snippet I see of the hand quilting on that butterfly quilt. Yummy. Funny thinking about the log cabins as houses. I do the same sort of associations. And I doodle my quilts on bits and pieces of scrap paper too. Looks like you are moving forward on lots of things. Way to go!

Ann said...

All three are intriguing. Love the color combination of the Log Cabins because it's unexpected. Then your sophisticated butterflies call me to finish my simple ones up. Love the coral, brown and black combination. And the darling four-patches.
I'm a doodler, too.

Janie said...

Thanks Kaja, and yes, like a map!

Janie said...

Thanks, Queenie.
Yes, that black and white batik adds to the mix, I agree.

Janie said...

Thank you Cathy.
I enjoy the stories behind your quilts, great adventures.

audrey said...

I definitely have to take more breaks in the summer. So many good projects to look at here! I'm loving the hand stitching especially.:) And yes, I tend to doodle my ideas too.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

NO a/c in my sewing space either and I also rely on fans to keep cool. Alas no kids swimming pools close by though! Your log cabin blogs are very cool!