Saturday, July 7, 2018

Quilt Border Change, Liberated Piecing and Summer's in the Air!

Crocosmia in bloom here, gorgeous!

I learned to swim here when I was a girl, Steel Lake, Federal Way, WA.

Two more blocks of liberated piecing got done this week, another star and Log Cabin nine patch.

Astilbe blooming and a great big hosta in the back yard.

I took off the outer white border of my Rail Fence Medallion Quilt, it looks better this way. 


Hello, from the Pacific NW, Washington State!
Where we are having great weather, warm for a few days then cooler with clouds and showers.

There was a bar-b-que for the Fourth of July and the neighbors really out did themselves with their firework show in the evening, wow!

I got some 'liberated' piecing done, a star and a nine patch log cabin block and trimmed off the outer border of my Rail Fence Medallion Quilt with sawtooth borders. I was looking at photos of that quilt as I was piecing it and I realized it looked finished without that last white border. In fact it looked good that way, (My last post has a photo of the white border still on), so off it came.
And yep, that was the trick.

That's the news here in the shire. Where summer is keeping me busy and the days are long.
Hope you're enjoying your summer, and some of you I know are getting into winter and I hope you're staying warm!

I'll be by to visit!

6 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your red blocks Janie and I don't think I've ever seen such a huge hosta, you must have the perfect spot for it.

Queeniepatch said...

Your rail fence still reminds me of Licorice Allsorts, and I think it is better without the white border.
What a lovely place to learn to swim!

Janie said...

Yes, it was fun to jump into and splash around in, but cold!
I think the rail fence medallion quilt does look like a pile of
Licorice Allsorts too. That would be a good name for it.
Thanks for the idea.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I popped back a post, and yes I agree, it does look great with the border removed. Enjoy your summer, it's wet & wild here in NZ!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think you made the right decision regarding that white border - I thought it looked great the way it was but seeing it now without the border I can see it looks much better.

Janie said...

Thank you Maureen.
Isn't that hosta amazing, the deer don't seem to like it as well as the variegated hosta which they have eaten almost to the ground!