Saturday, June 30, 2018

Quilt News! Whirlpool Blocks, Rail Fence Medallion Quilt Ready For Binding, Summer Quilt Classes?

My Rail Fence improv blocks started last summer.

The Rail Fence blocks are in the center now surrounded by borders.

Detail of quilting on back of Rail Fence medallion.

Quilting detail on front of Rail Fence medallion.

I trimmed the two whirlpool blocks for my traditional quilt.


Happy Weekend and almost Happy Fourth of July!!
We have light rain and clouds in the Pacific NW.

I finished machine quilting my summer improv Rail Fence medallion quilt, 30"x 36.5". For now I'm just going to call it Rail Fence medallion quilt. Summer and improv are descriptive but that makes the name too long I think. Binding is next.

And my two whirlpool blocks are trimmed to 10.5". One more to go, a Lend and Borrow block . Again I'm roughly following the pattern, 'Times of Refreshing' by Piecing the Past Quilts.

The Cotton Patch/QuiltUSA  in Lafayette, CA has an exciting class, actually several, that I'd love to sign up for this summer. One of them is by Youngmin Lee , South Korean, living in the Bay area now.
This class is a for a patchwork technique called Mosi Jogakbo with finished seams, front and back, with no batting or backing. It makes a beautiful gauzy looking piece of patchwork and reminds me of my butterfly four patch quilt I finished last summer. I made it of mostly white, cream and grey in the four patches and the butterflies were bright colors. I kept thinking the flimsy looked great as it was.
 Maybe I'll move there for the summer and fall and dedicate myself to quilt classes! I'll let you know about it if I do.

That's my quilt news and progress.
Have a good week and I'll be by to visit!

7 comments:

Kaja said...

That class and technique look very cool - I'd be there like a shot! Your improv top looks almost as good from the back as the front.:-)

Pamela said...

I love your rail fence medallion! Very well done.

Queeniepatch said...

Oh, I like all the black that you have included. This quilt makes me think of Licorice Allsorts!

Julierose said...

Your rail fence blocks look amazing with the borders...they change everything don't they? great work on this hugs, Julierose

Janie said...

Thanks Julie. Yes, borders do add to the party!

Pam said...

Your rail fence medallion is delightful!!! Love it!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I am enthralled by the rail fence quilt - the blocks are intriguing, but I am most interested in the border treatment. My perfectionist tendencies would never allow me to be that random so I have to admire what you've done!