Saturday, May 4, 2024

Quilt News! Improv Log Cabin Blocks Process, Orphan Blocks and Leftover Pieces Now Leading Useful Lives, Plus General Busyness....

Orphan blocks sewed into new 'family' to add color to the kitchen.

My Improv Log Cabin blocks as of today... blocks are approx. 14" sq.

Log Cabin blocks ready for piecing on more logs/strips...

Extra blocks/pieces now pieced into useful table mat.....

 

 

Hello Quilt Friends! More spring showers and busy stuff going on here in the valley. 

I've made progress on my Improv Log Cabin Blocks by adding onto blocks and auditioning placement etc. Most blocks are now about 14" square. I started this quilt last summer, challenging myself to use up small scraps. I started with small squarish pieces and decided to piece the blocks into Court House Steps configuration and most of the blocks are just that, one is not, just for fun. Now I ask myself, 'Should I add borders?' and my other self says, 'no.' 

Mary Hogan's book Log Cabin Improv has been my inspiration lately. I love her fearless exciting way with color and design! Her tutorials are excellent.

And visit Susan Stuklis @ susies-scraps.com to see her latest post titled Quickstep Two Four Six Eight Block, which is a Log Cabin block in Court House configuration tutorial made easy. If you want directions for Court House Steps blocks spelled out clear and easy this is it!

Last week I began piecing orphan blocks and left over bits/pieces into table mats, coasters and table runners, very useful items for the kitchen/dining room and they're washable. 

So I've made progress with projects and in between times I've watched the little Grand Muffin. Children are very creative aren't they?

That's the news and I'll be by to visit.

3 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

It is so rewarding to use up leftover blocks and scraps of fabric. Especially when you make something as useful as table mats etc.
I have made square log cabin blocks but not any court house blocks. If I did I would need instructions so thank you for the tip.
I might be wrong but I think most court house and pineapple blocks are set without borders or sashing. I like the idea of endless steps up and down the court house!
Enjoy the company of your Muffin and the splendors of spring.
Queenie

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautifully colourful improv blocks, and good use of leftover pieces for your table mat.

Debbie said...

yay for the table mat etc. project using up the loose bits!