Saturday, March 13, 2021

Quilt News, Green for March, Sixteen Patch Blocks, A Finish!, New Basket Blocks

I brought out my sixteen patch blocks to celebrate green!

We had a hail/thunder storm last week, impressive.

Stack of blocks and pieces I've been adding to this week.

Townsend's Warbler outside our window, looking for bugs.

Green, color for March, 'Refreshing, generous, healing...'.

New basket blocks, with zig-zag handles hand stitched on.

My daughter-in-law's quilt finished, I sewed on the binding, she did everything else.

 

Quilt News from the valley, spring is just around the corner!

We had a hail/thunder storm, last week, everything was dusted with hail. The thunder was loud as was the hail beating on the roof. And afterwards there were still cherry blossoms left on the trees, surprising.

Flocks of little birds enjoy the cherry trees as much as we do. They're looking for bugs to eat, we enjoy the blossoms and leaves too, but for the color not the bugs!

This last week my daughter-in-law finished the crib size quilt she had been working on for the little grand muffin. She pieced it and quilted it and I helped by sewing on the binding. Looks like spring!

I've also been cutting out and piecing blocks for various projects and to keep my 'parts department full.'
If I loose steam on designing a project, I start piecing more blocks and parts that I think might work and before long the 'log jam' breaks apart and the design moves forward.

And speaking of design, visit Audrey to see her new quilt project, Wing and a Prayer, it's a beauty and a great example of clever improv at its best.

Mieko of Mieko Happytime has many fun tutorials on You Tube, her tutorials are for quilts, hand stitching, making cute bags and pouches, etc. Recently she posted a tutorial on making Basket Blocks. I had to give it a try, the instructions were easy to understand and the blocks turned out super cute. 
She made a bag with her basket blocks, which is a cute idea I might try.

And that, Quilt Friends is the quilt news from the valley, where projects are getting finished and 
I'm enjoying the sunshine today.

I'll be by to visit.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

For some reason, those green 16-square blocks captured my attention! I like them!!

Queeniepatch said...

Green is such a beautiful colour! You know how much I love it in quilts.
Ric-rac is another favourite of mine and they make for excellent handles on those basket blocks. Great idea.
Your 'muffin' has a colourful cot quilt. Good teamwork by her mother and granny.
In some parts of Japan the cherry trees with darker pink flowers are in bloom (already finished?), but here in Tokyo we have a week left before our light pale pink cherry blossoms begin to open. It will be earlier than usual.
We had a thunder storm last night, but no impressive hail like yours. That is sure more than a powdering!
Looking forward to seeing your block stash growing.

Kaja said...

Your little baskets are cute and I like the happy colour scheme too.

Ann said...

The rick rack on your baskets makes darling handles. How wonderful that your DIL started quilting... and that she had you to help. Congratulations.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Green is a calming color. Like leaves and grass and plants
Those baskets are adorable too