Saturday, April 6, 2019

Quilt News, Improv Block Inspiration Remembered, with a Touch of Butterflies

My Improv Strip Block that inspired my Cream and Coral runner design. 

My improv blocks inspired by an 'Improv Piecing' class I took by Debbie Jeske.






I'm hand quilting my Cream and Coral runner, inspired by my improv strip block. 


Final border sewn onto HST Barn Raising Medallion with borders.




Beach level, coast off Rancho Palos Verdes, looking north.
We hiked down to that beach on public land north side of the Trump National Golf Course.

2019 April calendar butterflies!



Hello from Rancho Palos Verdes!

Where we have sun and clouds with a touch of butterflies.
Painted Ladies are still flying around fast, no lounging around for them.
and Cloudless Sulpher  butterflies can be seen here and there, they don't stay still for photos either.

And Happy April, I've posted my calendar butterflies.

I'm hand quilting my Cream and Coral runner. I finally remembered where I got inspiration to piece it and found a photo of my improv strip block started in the class I took from Debbie Jeske , 'Improv Piecing' held in the Gossipium Quilt Shop in Issaquah, Washington. It was a great class and Debbie is still full of good ideas, visit her blog to see.

The final border has been sewn onto my HST Barn Raising Medallion, a finished top now.

And then we hiked down to the beach last week, sand and waves, sun and wind.
There were wild flowers, lizards and pelicans too.
We saw container ships, pleasure and fishing boats on the water.


That's the news from the rancho.
Where projects are getting finished and spring is in the air.
Pollen is in the air too, allergies anyone? 

Remembering to be thankful
 and I'll be by to visit.





8 comments:

Pamela said...

I love coming to see what you are working on. The bright colors and fun patterns and the handquilting - all are fabulous!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

You have a wonderful selection of projects and pictures. I love your inprov and your hand quilting is beautiful :)

Kaja said...

I love that one of your projects is so dark and moody and one is very light and tranquil. I also love how the final border adds a new colour to your medallion without changing the mood of the top.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Must be so nice to have such a spectacular beach close by! There's something about your cream and coral runner that speaks to me ( a surprise because of coral not being a color I normally gravitate to)

Janie said...

Thanks Pamela, I appreciate your support!

Janie said...

Yes, we are blessed to be able to spend time here.
I like coral too and consider it a red and just use the colors that work with red with it.

Cathy said...

What a great variety of projects! We used to live within walking distance of the beach in Florida back in the 70s. I miss the beach. A walk along the beach was calming plus good exercise with a gorgeous view except for some people walking along who didn't know they should not wear swimming suit they decided to wear. I'm looking forward to butterflies in my garden!

Ann said...

I love the softness of your coral on cream tablerunner. It speaks softly of spring. Another great top with the barn raising medallion.