Monday, January 28, 2019

Quilt Nine Patch Choices for U & U and AHIQ's 'Red is my Neutral', Embroidered Texture

Blocks I started last summer experimenting.
I think I'll use these in AHIQ's new challenge, 'Red is my Neutral.' 

My improv pieced Nine Patch block I started in a class.


U & U: American Quilts Below the Radar, Nine Patch. I like how the colors are used.
This is the back to the quilt above, I like this too.

Another example of a beautiful Nine Patch in U & U.

Very attractive One Patch.

This is the Nine Patch I'm leaning toward, some serious fun going on here.

My Kindle version of U & U, I don't have the space right now for a large collection of hard copy  books.

I've been stitching 'texture' onto a challenge quilt for the Endeavorers' group.


Hello from Rancho Palos Verdes!

Where we have blue sky mixed with high clouds and warmer temperatures.
I have family in the NE where they have snow and freezing temperatures right now.
Brrrr.

This week I've been going through my Kindle version of Unconventional & Unexpected:
American Quilts Below the Radar for Sujata Shah's  challenge. I've seen this book around for a while, in libraries and book stores and I'm familiar with it and have favorites. I'm narrowing my choice down and I since I never follow a pattern exactly I'll also add my own 'curve'.

Some of the quilts in U & U remind me of Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran's style. I'm a big fan of both. Gwen has collected a lot of antique quilts and she shows some of them and talks about them in her classes @ iquilt.com. Her classes there are exciting.
And Freddie's use of red and orange are heroic! Her appliqué style is also a thing of wonder. 

I've also been stitching 'texture' onto a challenge quilt for the Endeavorers' challenge this month.
My stitching hand is now unhappy with me, it needs rest.

That's the news from the rancho, where I'm enjoying adventures in color and creating. 
Remembering to be thankful. 
I'll be by to visit.



12 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

U and U has SO much inspiration -- love your Red plan

Ann said...

I have the hardcopy of UAU but wish it was an ebook. It's difficult to find shelf space for all the books plus traveling means it's always at the "other house." This challenge is really making me look at them again. The blocks themselves are usually simple. It's the joy and movement of the fabric. Good luck with yours.

Janie said...

Yes, Ann, I agree it's the 'joy and movement of fabric' that makes the quilts attractive.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love the UandU book, the simple 9patch quilts are inspirating. I find the fabrics used are so interesting, different from what's available these days here in NZ. Good luck with your version.

Cathy said...

I really like your experiment!

I don't have U&U. I've seen plenty of pics from it online. I think what maybe makes the quilts U&U is that the makers probably used what they had on hand and made do - making a quilt more for utility than for show.

I like that first nine patch you showed with the big swirls in the sashing. It makes the quilt dance!

Supposed to get to -22 or lower tomorrow with wind chills of -40. That's definitely Brrrrrrr!!!! I'm glad I'm retired and can stay put and hunker down under some quilts!

Pamela said...

Red is my Neutral is stunning!

Anonymous said...

Is there any quilter who use color to its best like you do?! fantastic work, Janie.
Queenie

Janie said...

Thank you Cathy. I love all your quilt design ideas and experiments, thanks for sharing.
I get brave when I see what you're up to!

Mystic Quilter said...

You're off to a great start with your Red quilt project, good idea! Nine patch is a favourite of mine, and he certainly has some beauties in his book, it will be exciting to see what you do with this!

Kaja said...

Your red blocks already look great so I can't wait to see where you go with them. I like all your inspiration choices from U&U (the one patch has always been one of my favourites).

Kaja said...

I love that way of putting it: "the joy and movement of the fabric" perfectly captures so much of what I love about quilts.

Bradley Rebecca said...

I get the right information on this blog. Patches are really nice looking on clothes. You share the information is useful. Thanks!