Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Quilt Sampler Progress, Holidays on the Coast, Scott Hansen's 'Reykjavik'

My traditional sampler quilt with second border.
Clockwise turn.
It's starting to look like Christmas around here!





Hello from Rancho Palos Verdes!
Thanksgiving was wonderful, family and good food.
And the Christmas holiday is right around the corner, that came fast.

Today I finished sewing the second border onto my traditional sampler quilt. One or two more borders to go, I want it to be full size, now it's 53" sq.

I'm still reading my current favorite books, 'East Meets West' by Patricia Belyea , full of great improv and color use ideas. And Kaffe Fassett's newest book, 'Quilts in America', full of beautiful quilt photos.

Simply Moderne  quilt magazine, fall issue, by Quiltmania Inc. is an issue worth having. There's an interesting article on Okan Arts: artisan quilts and Japanese textiles
And Scott Hansen of Blue Nickel Studios has a fabulous quilt featured, 'Reykjavik", directions are included! You've got to get that issue, it's that good and nobody's paying me to say that.

That's the news from the rancho, where we're remembering to be thankful and getting excited about Christmas.
What's my favorite part of Christmas? Well, one of my favorites, is listening to a children's choir. The lights, the happy voices and faces are so heartwarming, a slice of heaven. 
What's one of your favorites?

I'll be by to visit!

6 comments:

Ann said...

Your sampler is coming along well. Don't they improve with borders? Lovely.

Pamela said...

Your sampler quilt is so bright and cheery! Beautiful!

Queeniepatch said...

You have such talent for mixing colors. The white in this latest quilt really make for good contrast so the red and green pop.
Shops in Japan smithed to Christmas decorations as soon as Halloween was out of the door. At home it has taken longer, but I have hung up the Advent star. I think it is one of the best things about Christmas for me.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

For some reason, when I saw your sampler quilt I immediately thought 'Christmas' - the colours remind me of those seen in my favourite Christmas show 'The Grinch'. My favourite part of Christmas has always been the music - and creating gifts for my family and friends.

Kaja said...

I love how your sampler is looking - though right from the start I've been drawn to the way you are working traditional blocks in such a bright, contemporary colour scheme. Not far to go now.

Mystic Quilter said...

Your traditional sampler is looking so good - nearly at the finish line!