Saturday, November 3, 2018

Half Square Triangle Borders, Yo-Yos, a Ceremony and an Adventure.





I managed to get a photo before the wedding party started.
St. Jarlath Church, the ceremony was held here.



I got to see my littlest grandson! Here he is playing with his cars.
On the drive home we stopped in Buellton, CA and visited this fabric/quilt shop.
This is one of their beautiful sample quilts.

The Creation Station Quilt Shop front entrance

I bought some colorful, already made yo-yos, the owner's grandmother makes them.

And I've started work on borders for my new improv sample quilt. I love this look.



Hello! From Rancho Palos Verde.
Where it's sunny, warm and the Pacific Ocean sparkles.

We drove to Oakland, CA last week for my son's wedding. The ceremony was wonderful, held in the beautiful St. Jarlath Church. What a great way to start a marriage. It was fun seeing and visiting friends and relatives and it was all over too soon.

On the drive home I got to visit  The Creation Station Fabric & Quilt Shop , in Buellton, Ca. I enjoyed their sample quilts and they specialize in quilt retreats. I bought some already made Yo-Yo's, the owner's grandma makes them and they're well made! I've sewn them together and they're just the cutest thing.

This week I've been making half square triangles for borders for my new sample improv design quilt,
'Uneven Thirds.' I got the idea for the border from one of Jordan Fabrics' YouTube tutorials in which Donna made a similar border. Their tutorials are full of good ideas and exciting color use.

That's the news from the rancho, where I'm remembering to be thankful.
Have a good week and I'll be by to visit.


9 comments:

Pamela said...

A fabulous trip for you! The church looks beautiful and traditional. The yo-yo and your new border are very colorful and cheery.

Mystic Quilter said...

A very colourful trip for you Janie. The church looks wonderful and so good that you were able to catch up with family. Always a bonus if you can visit a quilt shop!

Cathy said...

Looked like an elegant wedding. St. Jarlath - a nice Irish saint.
Love the colors in your border...oh joy!
And for some reason I now feel like making a yoyo quilt. I have one of those yoyo makers but have only made yoyos for use in crazy quilting. I even have a heart yoyo maker. Hmmmmm...

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your borders look great, I love the solids mixed in with the tone on tones. Sounds like a busy time, what with the wedding and grandson, and a quiltshop stop!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Congratulations to the newlyweds - looks like a beautiful venue for their wedding. As for yo yo's - I have kicked myself many times over because somewhere along the line I acquired a whole big bag of yo yo's which ended up sitting in the corner of my sewing room for several years. I finally gave them to someone I knew would use them. Hindsight being what it is, I wish I'd kept them!

Janie said...

Thank you, Cathy!
Yes, if anyone could whip up a yo-yo quilt it would be you. And the heart
yo-yos are fun.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congratulations on the new addition to your family! Glad it was a good day. That quilt with the diamonds is so pretty - too bad paper piecing and I don't get along. Your border looks great. I look forward to seeing it with the quilt.

الصقر المثالي said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الصقر المثالي said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.