Saturday, October 20, 2018

Summer Watermelon Quilt Border, Mug Rug Improv Style, Indian Summer

Summer Watermelon Quilt, second border sewed on.

This is the final size, I'll get it layered and quilted next.

I think this captures the watermelon 'spirit', that first juicy crunch and sweet burst of flavor.

My scrap improv mug rugs, experiments in small scale.
Hand stitching binding.



Hello from Rancho Palos Verdes!
Where we are having an Indian Summer, but looking at the weather report it's supposed to be short lived.

This week I had time to sew on the second border of my Summer Watermelon Quilt. It will fit perfect on a table. Layering and quilting will come next. I think I'll machine quilt in straight lines with lines of hand quilting mixed in, nice texture that way.

Hand sewing the border down onto my 'City Sidewalks' quilt was started today.

I also pulled out the scrap improv mug rugs I've been working on and began a few more.
Maybe work isn't the right word, play would fit better. This is a good way to warm up and do small color experiments. 

That's the news from the rancho.
Where we are enjoying the warm sea breezes while they last.
And remembering to be thankful.
I'll be by to visit.



8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE your watermelon quilt!!

Pamela said...

The summer watermelon border is perfect. What a great table topper. The scrap improv mug rugs are a good idea. I should try to make some too!

Cathy said...

Yummy! For some reason I'm hungry for watermelon. What a sweet table topper it will be. I like the idea of machine and hand quilting combined. Nice texture is right!

Kaja said...

It is absolutely evocative of watermelons!

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning combination of the lime green with the watermelon! The improv mug rugs look good, what size are they Janie?

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

That lime is great!

Janie said...

Thank you, Cathy.
Fruits and flowers have beautiful color inspiration don't they?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Mmmmmm - now I'm craving watermelon! Great to see those fabulous colours right now (woke up to the dreaded white stuff this morning).