Saturday, June 9, 2018

16 Patch Blocks, Hiking and Admiral Butterfly Sightings, Joe the Quilter

Squares for 16 Patch block for my traditional sampler quilt.

Set of squares for 2nd 16 Patch block.
We hiked in the Kent Valley on Saturday in the Green River Natural Area.

Salmon berries are ripe, not real sweet, but good.

Natural shrubs blossoming, lovely smell.

Wild rose, fragrant.

Admiral butterfly, they don't stay still long.

Bird sanctuary pond, off limits to the public.

'Country road take me home to the place I belong.'


I saw Gold Finch but they were shy.

I think this was some kind of wild rose.


Bend in the Green River with pedestrian/bike bridge.



Happy Weekend!

Saturday here, clouds and sun, not too hot and not too cool. Good day for a hike. We drove to a natural reserve and walked around for some good exercise.
We saw Swallow Tail and Admiral butterflies, Gold Finch, Sparrows and chickadees.
There were wild flowers and blossoming shrubs, wild berries and poplar/cottonwood. 
Lots of color inspiration and fun.

And I found time this morning to get the squares for my two 16 Patch blocks ready to piece for the traditional sampler I'm working on. I'm roughly following the pattern by Piecing the Past Quilts, 'Times of Refreshing.' The blocks are 10" finished. 


If you want an interesting read about quilts in the fashion world, read Joe the Quilter's post entitled 'Calvin Klein and Me.' Well written with good insight and humor.

And I'm linking up with Sew Stitch Snap Share, hosted by Julie at justjulielou.blogspot.com.
Thank you Julie!
Stop in to share your projects and get inspired.

Well that's what I've been up to today.
Have you seen any butterflies in your garden?
How are your projects coming along?

I'll be by to visit.





7 comments:

Pamela said...

What a great hike! Isn't it great to get out into the natural world? Your new block is bright and cheery.

Kaja said...

Thanks for the link - I really enjoyed it. I also loved this batch of photos, and the combination of traditional piecing with very contemporary-looking fabrics.

Janie said...

Thanks Pamela. Yes it is great to get out and walk and enjoy nature.
I'm always inspired by your walks and hikes all over Japan.

Janie said...

Thank you, Kaja.
Traditional blocks do look good with traditional or contemporary fabric, right on!

Julie said...

Those blocks remind me of watermelon and berries with ice cream, lovely summery colours. I love seeing the photos from your hike, all the different flora and fauna. Thanks for linking to Sew, Stitch, Snap Share.

Janie said...

Yes, thank you Julie.
You're right those colors remind me of watermelon and summer too.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

No butterfly sightings here, but that could be because we don't have a garden. I wonder if those fragrant white flowers (5th picture) might be orange blossoms. They smell so pretty!