Saturday, August 26, 2017

String Challenge Small Quilt, Rail Fence Pattern

String blocks I had put together arranged in no particular order.

Same string blocks cut into 4" squares now sewn together.


Happy Weekend !!

Sunny and warm in Renton, WA.

Debbie Feske  had a string quilt challenge going on so I decided to work up some string sections and join in for fun. And so I sewed together some strings and played with arrangement until I ended up frustrated and thinking this is a waste of my time.
I finally realized what the problem was; I didn't want the quilt to end up big,  I've been working small lately and that's what makes me happy now. We're staying with relatives, helping out and vacationing too. So I don't have a lot of space or time to devote to large projects, so small it is.

When I figured that out I breathed a sigh of relief and quickly unpicked a couple of long seams and cut the strips into 4" blocks. Now I had something that gave me peace. I laid them out, 3 blocks by 5 blocks, in rail fence pattern and that was the trick.
I call it 'Attract' as in opposites attract.

I'm linking up with Julie and Linda  for Sew Stitch Snap Share .
Visit them for inspiration and progress in projects. Thanks Julie and Linda for hosting.

That's what I've been working on the last couple of days.
The rest of my time goes for adventures and walks in the sun.

I hope you're having a good weekend, and leaving time for rest and relaxation! 

I'll be by to visit.

9 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

The thing is that although you say you put the blocks together in 'no particular order', you did - by instinct. You have that natural talent for colour and pattern placement.
It is always a delight to see your work.
Have plenty of great walks in the sun.

Janie said...

You are right Queenie! So observant! Thank you for pointing that out.
I did use the rail fence pattern.
I meant the color arrangement, it's good to be clear.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love it!! The blocks are so good together and isn't it liberating to use the rotary cutter to slice through!

Julie said...

It is always fun yet scary to chop blocks up to make new blocks. Thanks for linking to Sew stitch Snap Share, enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Karen said...

more beautiful vibrancy from you Janie. It never fails to brighten my day when I come here...

audrey said...

So much better when you cut them up and rearranged them! So glad you were able to figure that out. It's very fun looking now.:)

Victoria said...

Wonderful bold colors! And I hear you on the small... I generally find working on a small scale to be very enjoyable. Important to do what feels right to you.

Jane Holbrook said...

I saw your name on the kokaquilts link up, and picked yours because Janie is my name, too! I have scrolled through some of your posts and love your colors, your whimsy, and your eye for design. You are sew talented! I am inspired. I need to blog, but while I'm eating second breakfast I like to read. Nicely done, Janie!

Janie said...

Hello Jane! That's not a common name is it? I like it because of what it meant to my parents when they gave it to me.
I visited your blog, nice work; friends.