Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Purple Haze or Smoky Purple, Compositions by BasicGrey, AHIQ Time

Tim Holtz fabric with alphabet, backing on butterfly quilt.

String improv, small, with 'Composition' fabric by BasicGrey for Moda.

My 'liberated' blocks to be arranged improv. style.

This block has beautiful 'smoky' batiks and newsprint fabric.

My small liberated triangle quilt will get orange border soon.

Foley's Produce market, Maple Valley, WA.

Peaches and plums, boxes of pears and tomatoes!

Corn and cucumbers, delicious.


Hello from Renton, WA.

Where it's summer and wild berries and farmers markets are ripe for picking.
My grandson loves berries. I bought beef steak tomatoes and they'll be sliced as a side dish for dinner.

Gossypium Quilt Shop  is hosting Kaffe Facett for classes and a lecture.
I'm planning on going to the lecture, September 16, 2017.

I put up photos of some of the ways I use letters in my work. I like to use fabrics with compositions on them. BasicGrey has 'Compositions, Newsprint, Number Jumble-etc for Moda.
Tim Holtz has fabric with maps, letters, numbers etc.
My butterfly quilt has Tim Holtz fabric on the backing with alphabet.

For my newest blocks, I'm calling them 'Smoky Purple' or ' Purple Haze',  I used a fabric pack of smoky purple batiks, made in India, I found at JoAnn Fabrics. I used to work there and know that once in a while some great fabric comes rolling through. There's also some 'Compositions' fabric by BasicGrey in there.

I made the blocks in an 'Improv Piecing' class by Debbie  at Gossypium Quilt shop.
Great class.

I'm linking up with Ann and Kaja for AHIQ #24, where all kinds of improvisation is celebrated. Stop in to share and get inspiration!

Have a great week and remember to share a smile.

I'll be by to visit.



11 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

Delicious things at market!
Beautiful and colourful quilts.
In Japan adding text to quilts is very popular. It is ok with printed fabric, but oh, all to often there are spelling problems in the embroidery, quilting and other forms of writing.
The 'smoky' block is great!

Ann said...

I hadn't considered printed text on fabric. How clever of you. And there are so many to choose from these days.
You are having such a blast with your grandson and still manage to post on your blog. Amazing! Enjoy the rest of your time there.
Thanks for linking with AHIQ and joining our alphabet invitation.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm glad I read the text of your post because at first glance I was sure you were starting to sew with newspaper!! How I envy you being able to shop all that wonderful fruit!!

Pamela said...

I love the colorful things you make!

Karen said...

your ''lettering'' cloth is very exciting, there is something very special about text in textiles. Love the images from the farmers market. I was always in awe of the size of the fruit when we visited California, your grapes are the size of our plums lol.

JanineMarie said...

Thanks for sharing some of your text fabrics along with the names. I need to make a note to myself to buy them when I see them instead of waiting until I want them and then not being able to find them. Your colorful market pictures are inspiring for both eating and quilt design! Don't you wish the tomato season was longer?! They are so delicious. I hate to think of going back to the pale pinkish ones later in the year.

Janie said...

You're welcome. Yes, colorful market pictures do inspire me, fresh produce, fresh air, nothing like it.

Janie said...

Thank you, Queenie.
I've seen Japanese quilts using text fabric and I'm a big fan.

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning String Improv Janie - wonderful colours.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

It's always fun to visit a produce market, love the colours. Your quilt projects are beautiful, full of happy colours too :)

-Soma

Kaja said...

So many great things in one post. I like the reminder that some fabric comes with text in the print.