Friday, October 2, 2015

Log Cabin blocks a little Improv a little Modern

Log Cabin blocks, original 4, approx. 18" x 18" ea.

Original 4 blocks, cut into 4ths each and sewn back together.

16 blocks all together, 4 blocks x 4, approx. 35" x 33".

Close up view.


I read Beth's blog about how she had made a big log cabin block and cut it up and I was inspired. So yesterday I got brave and using four big log cabin blocks I had made up a while ago, I stacked them and sliced them into fourths giving me 16 blocks. Then I played around on paper with my ruler and pencil and markers, figuring out how I wanted to sew them together. Log Cabin blocks can be arranged in some really fun designs! With my plan on paper I laid them out and sewed them together adding strips of fabric to get them all the right size to fit like I wanted them to. This was a bit improvisational. I know different people use that term to mean different things. When I use it I mean using what you have and arranging it in a way that is pleasing to you, using your 'voice.'
I also decided I like pressing seams to the side when using a 'scant' 1/4 inch seam. It seems to me to add strength. I noticed when I press 'scant' 1/4" seams open they can tend to unravel at the cross seams. I'm not going to use 'scant' 1/4" seams anymore for that reason and I'm going to press seams to the side as I have in the past. I read some article that pressing seams open reduces bulk. I think in garment construction that's good but quilts are different. Full on 1/4 inch seams and pressing to the side, that's what I have been doing and it's worked fine for me.
Isn't orange a great color? Purple sets it off so amazingly.
Remember to share a smile, it's healthy.


7 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I never would have thought to put orange and purple together, but now I will!! Log cabin is one pattern that I've always liked, especially because there are so many variations.

Pamela said...

This is great. I love the colors and the pattern the put together log cabin pieces make.

Ann said...

I've always wanted to cut up some blocks and rework. Great job!

Karen said...

so many beautiful pattern variations Janie. I get quite a bit of satisfaction from cutting things up too....

Kaja said...

This looks like a whole lot of fun. Beautiful colours in your original blocks but they look stunning once you've cut them up and played around.

beth s said...

It is GORGEOUS! Amazing what a little cutting and sewing will do. ;)

Janie said...

Thank you, cutting sewing and arranging are an adventure!